Thursday, April 1, 2021

Camp NaNoWriMo Day #1 Naming a Book

On the Edge is the working title of this new book idea, and I have been trying to remember how the idea and the character came to grab my throat about six months ago. I suppose something I was reading caught my fancy. I remember reading a historical novel that had a book character who wore throwing knives. That lead to some research and the discovery that knife-throwing is quite the hobby in modern day America. Who would have guessed? 

Of course, I had to give it a try myself, so I bought myself several sets of throwing knives and asked my husband to make some end-cut targets for me. And then the winter weather set in and I couldn't practice much. That will change soon. Because these wicked toys are waiting for me!


I have an affinity for knives that goes back a long way, I suppose because I like to cook, and so I like sharp knives. It didn't take long for me to make the jump to knife-sharpening and finding groups - large groups! - on Facebook that make a living in this trade. I started practicing and found I like the actual process of honing a steel blade to a razor-sharp edge. 

And what does this have to do with my story? It's the basis of the first Cutting Edge Mystery. It's also the start of creating a hero who likes knives as much as I do. I'll be working developing ideas, characters, and a lot more all the month of April. 

So tomorrow, I'll introduce my main character. I do know his name, if not too much else. But you'll have to wait a day to meet him. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Camp NaNoWriMo Day #2 My Protagonist

 Meet Henry Bell, the main character of my story. Henry is a tall, well-built fellow, dark-skinned and curly-haired and looks every bit the ...